The following is general licensing information. Please visit the states website for specific licensing detailed information, application forms, insurance requirements, education and training, fees, and any special licensing requirements.
Investigators General Licensing Requirements:
- Age: Be at least 18 years old
- Experience: Have two years of full time investigative experience
- Citizenship: Be a citizen of the United States or legal resident
- State Required Training: Complete required training
-Investigative applications and tools
-Public relations and communication
-Ethics and professional conduct, including grounds for unprofessional conduct
-Role of the private investigator
- Criminal record: Pass a criminal background check
- Work History: Have a job with a licensed Vermont private investigative agency
- No standing issues related to: Child support orders, taxes, district court fines, or unsolved issues with the judicial bureau
- Forms: Complete the Private Investigator and/or Security Guard Registration Application
- Application fee: $60 if you will be unarmed and $120 if you will be armed (via check payable to Vermont Secretary of State)
- Photos: Attach a recent passport-sized photo of yourself to the application in the correct spot
- Misc. Docs: Have your current supervisor sign the Temporary Registration/Statement of Supervisor
- Contact: Licensing Board Specialist at (802) 828-1134 to arrange for an FBI background check and fingerprinting if you seek armed status. They will provide you with the proper forms and inform you of the fees associated with the search.
- If armed: Verification of Firearms Status form from your firearms instructor
Private Investigators Licensing Authority in Vermont:
Find a Private Investigator near you!
Our directory has useful resources for finding Expert P.I’s, Agencies, and Verified Private Investigators. Moreover, if you are seeking how to verify a private investigators license in Vermont or simply need a Private Investigator near you, then this directory will prove to be valuable resource.