Private Investigators License Washington Requirements
The following is general licensing information. Please visit the states website for specific licensing detailed information, application forms, insurance requirements, education and training, fees, and any special licensing requirements.
Investigators General Licensing Requirements:
- Age: Be over 18 years old (21 if carrying a concealed weapon)
- Experience: 3 years of experience performed prior to applying for the license or passed exam
- Citizenship: Be a United States citizen or resident alien
- Employment: Have employment with, or an employment offer from, a properly licensed private investigator firm
- Criminal Record: Be free of any criminal convictions that directly relate to the duties you will perform as a private investigator
- Employment: Be employed by, or have an employment offer from, a licensed private investigator company
- Training: Complete the pre–assignment training requirements.
- Get fingerprinted for state and national background checks.
- Inside Washington: Go to www.identogo.com to schedule an appointment through MorphoTrust, Washington’s electronic fingerprinting vendor. You will pay IdentoGO for taking your fingerprints and for the background checks required for your license type.
- Outside Washington: Call the Security Guard program at 360.664.6611 for fingerprint card submission instructions.
- For more details, see Fingerprinting and background checks.
- A SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account to apply online.
- If you don’t have one, you’ll be able to create one before you start.
- For help visit How to set up Washington account access.
Washington state offers 4 (four) different P.I. license types
- Private investigator agency
- Unarmed private investigator
- Armed private investigator
- Certified trainer (requires holding one of the above named licenses with three years of experience)
Private Investigators Licensing Authority in Washington:
Hours: Open 8:30AM ⋅ Closes 4:30PM
Phone: (360) 902-3900
Find a Private Investigator near you!
Our directory has useful resources for finding Expert P.I’s, Agencies, and Verified Private Investigators. Moreover, if you are seeking how to verify a private investigators license in Washington or simply need a Private Investigator near you, then this directory will prove to be valuable resource.