New York Private Investigators Licensing Requirements
The requirements to get a PI’s license in New York may change. Below are a current list of the general requirements. Please visit the states website for the most up-to-date list of requirements.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a residents of the United States
- Have no felony, domestic violence, or abuse convictions
- Have no misdemeanor convictions associated with theft, honesty, fraud, or sale or use of controlled substances
- Be 25 years old
- Be a principal in the business entity
- Pass the private investigator examination within the two years immediately prior to application date
- Have either 3 years’ experience or 3 years equivalent position and experience or 20 years of service as a police officer or Fire Marshall.
- Proof of Fingerprint completion
- Proof of a $10,000 surety bond
- If employing Security Guards, evidence of liability insurance in the minimum amount of $100,000 per occurrence and $300,000 in the aggregate and a statement that the coverage includes false arrest or false imprisonment, malicious prosecution, libel, slander and violation of the right to privacy.
CLICK HERE to verify a New York Private Investigators license now!
Licensing Authority in New York:
PI’s licensing in New York is governed by the New York Division of Licensing Services.
Division of Licensing Services
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Avenue, One Commerce Plaza 6th Floor, Albany, NY 12231
Phone: (518) 474-4429
Associated Licensed Detectives Of New York State
Find a Private Investigator near you!
Our directory has useful resources for finding Expert P.I’s. agencies, and Verified Private Investigators. If you are seeking to verify a private investigators license, or simply need a Private Investigator near you, then this directory will prove to be valuable resource.