The following is general licensing information. Please visit the website for specific licensing detailed information, application forms, insurance requirements, education and training, fees, and any special licensing requirements.
Investigators General Licensing Requirements:
- Age: 21 is the minimum age to be a private detective in Nebraska.
- Residency: Must be a citizen or legal resident in the U.S.
- Check Criminal Background: This State Patrol will perform a background check on anyone seeking to become a PI’s.
- Fingerprints Check: Have taken fingerprints for a fingerprint-based criminal history record check.
- Check Military Discharge: Your military service is not taken into account, even if you were dishonorably discharged.
- Mental Health & Disease: Your mental health status will not be examined and should not prevent you from becoming a licensed Nebraska private detective.
- Financial History Check: The financial history of a candidate is not checked before to licensure.
- Required Insurance: A Private Investigator surety bond is needed with coverage of $10,000.
- Issues of Denying: Applicant disqualified automatically from receiving a license if a felony conviction or has been convicted of a crime as defined by the Nebraska state.
- Degrees and Experience: This State requires that P.I’s acquire work experience before licensure will be approved. Fulfilling this requirement requires 3,000 hours of work experience without a degree, 2,500 hours for applicants with an associate’s degree in a related field, or 2,000 hours of work experience for applicants with a bachelor’s degree in the field.
- Exams: You will be needed to take a licensing exam provided by the Nebraska Secretary of State Division of Licensing authority. The exam covers the rules for detectives outlined in the Nebraska Private Detective Act (NPDA), and 80 percent is considered as a passing of this exam. If you will be failed then you will have to wait till 21 days before sitting for the exam a second time.
- Fees: Nebraska cost a $50 license fee and a $38 background check fee.
- PI License Maintenance Fee: Licenses expire on 31st December of each year, and can be renewed for a $25 fee.
Private Investigators Licensing Authority in Nebraska:
The Nebraska Secretary of State Licensing Division is responsible for licensing in Nebraska.
Nebraska Secretary of State Licensing Division
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 94608, Lincoln, NE 68509-4608
Location: State Capitol, Room 1305, 1445 K St., Lincoln, NE 68509
Phone: (402) 471-2385
Fax: (402) 471-2530
Find a Private Investigator near you!
Our directory has useful resources for finding Expert P.I’s, Agencies, and Verified Private Investigators. Moreover, if you are seeking information on how to verify a private investigators license in Nebraska or simply need a Private Investigator near you, then this directory will prove to be valuable resource.