Private Investigators License Missouri Requirements
The following is general licensing information. Please visit the states website for specific licensing detailed information, application forms, insurance requirements, education and training, fees, and any special licensing requirements.
Investigators General Licensing Requirements:
- Age: Private investigators in Missouri must be at least 21 years of age.
- Operational Requirements: To work as a private detective in Missouri, you must have a physical business location where you can be contacted or located by the state government.
- Background Check: Missouri requires a criminal background check before you can be licensed as a private investigator.
- Military Discharge: Former military members who have received a dishonorable discharge are eligible to work as private detectives in the State of Missouri.
- Credit: Your financial history or health will have no impact on your ability to be licensed as a private investigator.
- Mental Health: Missouri does not examine the mental health of private investigator applicants.
- Insurance: You must be able to acquire at least $250,000 of liability and worker’s compensation insurance. Proof of insurance must be provided to the Board of Private Investigator and Private Fire Investigator Examiners.
- Automatic Disqualifications: There are no issues that will automatically disqualify you from receiving a private investigator license.
- Experience: You must have at least two years of experience as a private investigator before applying for your license in Missouri.
- Written Exams: If your application has been approved and you do not have investigative work experience, you will need to pass a licensing examination. The exam contains 75 questions related to Missouri regulations and practices of private investigation. You must score 70% to pass the exam.
- Fees: $500 for the license. The exam will cost $80, if required to take it.
- License Registration Information: Two passport-style photos, a full set of fingerprints for your background check, proof of $250,000 worth of insurance, and proof your experience. You will be notified when your application has been processed and is ready for Board review.
- Ai-annual License Maintenance: To maintain your license, you will need to complete sixteen hours of Board-approved continuing education every two years.
Private Investigators Licensing Authority in Missouri:
Licensing Contact Information:
Missouri Division of Professional Registration
3605 Missouri Boulevard,
PO. Box 1335,
Jefferson City, MO, 65102-1335,
Phone No.: (573)-751-0293
PI Associations In Missouri:
Joining the Missouri Association of Private Investigators or MAPI can help further your credibility as a P.I. and assist with continuing education in the field. MAPI provides the platform for Interaction and networking among private investigators to achieve the next level in their careers.
Find a Private Investigator near you!
Our directory has useful resources for finding Expert P.I’s, Agencies, and Verified Private Investigators. Moreover, if you are seeking how to verify a private investigators license in Missouri or simply need a Private Investigator near you, then this directory will prove to be valuable resource.