The following is general licensing information. Please visit the website for specific licensing detailed information, application forms, insurance requirements, education and training, fees, and any special licensing requirements. To become a P.I. in Iowa you must have a license. The Iowa Department of Public Safety regulates Private Investigators licenses.
Investigators General Licensing Requirements:
• Age: The applicant must be at least 18 Years old.
• Citizenship: The applicant must be a U.S Citizen or legal resident.
• Provisional Requirements: The Applicant is not currently working as an Iowa peace officer.
• Character: The applicant must be a good moral character and has not been judged guilty of a crime involving moral turpitude.
• Criminal Background Check: Criminal history background check through the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and National Criminal History Check. The applicants have not ever been convicted of a felony or an aggravated misdemeanor, assault or battery, a sex crime, domestic abuse, child abuse, harassment, and illegally (using, carrying, or possessing) a dangerous weapon.
• Fingerprints Check: Fingerprint check for a fingerprint-based criminal history record.
• Required Insurance: The applicant has required a $5,000 bond for bail enforcement, private investigative or private security license for conducting only one type of business. If the applicant required more than one type $10,000 is needed.
• Automatic Disqualifications: The applicant will automatically disqualify if addicted to the use of alcohol or any controlled substance.
• Degree: There are no degree requirements to work as a Private investigator in Iowa.
• Experience: There are no experience requirements to work as a Private investigator in Iowa
• Fees: The License fee is $140 in total that includes (License fee $100, Fingerprint fee $30, and Identification Card fee $10)
• Maintaining PI License: License must be renewed for private investigator every two (2) years.
Private Investigators Licensing Authority in Iowa:
Department Contact Information:
Iowa Department of Public Safety
Private Investigation Licensing
Program Services Bureau
215 E 7th St 4th Floor
Des Moines IA 50319-0045
Find a Private Investigator near you!
Our directory has useful resources for finding Expert P.I’s, Agencies, and Verified Private Investigators. Moreover, if you are seeking information on how to verify a private investigators license in Iowa or simply need a Private Investigator near you, then this directory will prove to be valuable resource.